Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dig it up!

Letter Writing...People used to mention it as a form of art.But where has that art gone?I read an article about this forgotten art in "The Hindu" a month ago...An article which I liked most and I m not sure how many of us have atleast gone through it.Believe it or not,my last hand written letter was during my 5th std.I sent it to one of my good friends with whom I couldnt stand the separation between us during a vacation.It sounds childish when I think about it now.But nobody from my family hadnt thought it as kiddish.My father still treasures the last letters from my Grandpa.Its really a pleasure to see the handwriting of our loved ones.I dunno how many of us know the handwriting of our friends or the closer ones.I swear,I dont know  it for most of my friends.Its not that handwriting alone.Its the time,dedication,feelings they spent in writing that letter and that really counts.Its hard time seeing the inland letters nowadays..and again I have encountered them last during my primary school days,where I eagerly await for them during my Summer Vacation.Its real happiness to see a letter delivered for me, that too to intimate that I have passed my so and so standard n I can go to the next class.:)....Now I dunno where the post box is or when the postman collects the letters,how much an inland letter or a card costs..Nothing.The same thing about Greeting cards.My dad and I used to go select the cards for Christmas,New Year...According to me its the real shopping day.We used to buy "bunches" of them.Then we two sit together and personally sign every card.My job is to handle the stamps.And sometimes I m given the higher level of writing the address on the envelopes.But Now,day by day the activities have been lessened.Now my dad sends Group SMS to people through the mobile phones.I would like to hear the ringing of the cycle bells of a Postman than an electronic beep from a cell phone.It hardly shows the importance we give to the people.Luckily, a very few closer ones get the card even now minus the personal signs.Cos,I m stuck in the E cards.
I would prefer a handwritten letter than a digital letter from my friends...I hope that we wont write R.I.P for this beautiful art.And now I m trying to do the honor of "Digging it up" from the buried ground...Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment